New START: Let’s get it FINISHED!
Floor consideration of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) began on Wednesday, December 15th. Senators have now been debating the treaty for five days– right through this weekend. We are getting closer to a final vote, although a few Republican opponents of the treaty are using delay tactics to prolong debate. We expect further debate on the treaty early this week and remain hopeful that the Senate will move to a final vote before Christmas, as reported by National WAND.
Thank you for your continued vigilance. Now is the time to call Senators our Georgia Senators Johnny Isakson and Saxby Chambliss and give them the clear message that New START needs to be ratified before Christmas. Please Take Action NOW!
Senator Johnny Isakson
Let Senator Isakson know you want him to continue his leadership on New START and ensure its ratification before Christmas.
1) Give his office a call to let him know you want New START ratified before the Senate breaks for Christmas. Click below to be directly connected to Senator Isakson's office toll free.
Atlanta, GA Office (CLICK to call 770.661.0999 )
Washington, DC Office (CLICK to call 202.224.3643)
2) Contact Senator Isakson via his Facebook page: (you will have to "like" him first):
3) Message him through his website: http://isakson.senate.gov/contact.cfm
4) Print out this letter and send to Senator Isakson
United States Senate
140 Senate Russell Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Or fax to his office:
Washington D.C. - 202.228.0724
Atlanta - 770.661.0768
Senator Saxby Chambliss:
Call Senator Chambliss and express your strong support of the treaty and its ratification before Christmas. Click below to be directly connected to Senator Chambliss' office toll free.
Atlanta, GA Office (CLICK to call 770.763.9090)
Washington, DC Office (CLICK to call 202.224.3521)
Print out and send this letter to Senator Saxby Chambliss
100 Galleria Parkway
Atlanta, GA 30339
Or fax to his office
Washington D.C. - 202.224.0103
Atlanta - 770.226.8633
Want to do more?
- Read this Editorial Board Packet
- Check out the Countdown to Zero Discussion Guide
- Sign up for the Georgia WAND Nuclear Committee (email: email@example.com)
- Friend Georgia WAND on Facebook
- Share your new-found knowledge on START to your friends via your favorite social networking sites.
- Tell your friends in different cities to SEE Countdown to Zero (click here for a national listing)
- Browse the official Countdown to Zero website to take additional actions
- Read WAND Executive Director, Susan Shaer's Op-Ed on New START
The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) was approved 14-4 in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Senator Johnny Isakson voted YES.
We are one giant step closer to the Treaty's full ratification! Now, 67 votes are required. It’s not often that we have the opportunity to weigh in on a concrete step that will improve nuclear security — these chances sometimes come around just once per year. Our lobbying efforts worked on Senator Isakson, let's work our magic on Senator Chambliss!
Your communication will make a difference. Senators, before voting, want to know if their office has received info on this issue. Volume counts, passion on nuclear weapons and security issues counts, the fact that you are a registered Georgia voter counts, your polite and respectful approach will count.
Take this opportunity to tell Senator Saxby Chambliss to join his fellow Georgia Senator and support the treaty. Tell him that you won’t tolerate partisan nonsense when it comes to a treaty that’s good for national security and sound moral choice. Failure to ratify New START would not only damage strategic relations between the US and Russia, it would be a huge step in the wrong direction toward nuclear insecurity.